Thursday, January 28, 2010

Korean Traditional Dress: Hanbok

My significant fashion moment/article of clothing



In my closet, there are so many clothes that i don't even wear. For some reason, i cannot throw them away. As i was thinking about an article of clothing that is special to me, i thought about 'Hanbok'. I had this dress for a very long time. 'Hanbok' is a traditional dress that our ancestors wore everyday. When i was a child, i wore this dress in a special occasion such as New Year. However, no one really wears it anymore even in a spacial occasion. My mom bought me this dress when i was in elementary school, and i had this dress for 12 years. I only wore it once in my life and it's in a new condition. It does not fit me anymore but somehow i cannot throw it away or give it to someone. It is something that i want to keep forever in my life.


Most of my artworks are based on my culture and my experiences. My family immigrated to United States when i was in middle school. I don't really have memories from Korea (somehow i can't remember) but somehow my artworks are influenced by my culture.

'Hanbok' is one of the main thing that i'm focusing on right now. I love to make garments, and i find myself happy when i'm making them. Just like i mentioned before, 'Hanbok' seems to fade away and no one really think of it as a fashionable item. I also thought of it as ugly and non-fashionable item when i was in Korea (not anymore:P). However, i want to bring this dress back to people and let them see the beauty of 'Hanbok'. I tried to modernized the tradtional dress and i'm really happy with the result. I'll be doing this for my senior thesis next year, and show how fashionable 'Hanbok' could be. :D

*Yeji Byun

No comments:

Post a Comment